People who are concerned about memory loss, have mental health problems or dementia, can all benefit from Music Therapy.
Elderly people can feel socially isolated when they are recovering from illness and are away from neighbours, family and friends. In these situations Music Therapy can improve self-esteem and encourage memory recall.
Music Therapy can help to:
- promote social interaction such as turn-taking, eye-contact
- encourage a sense of self through improvised music
- give an older person the opportunity to reminisce through the use of song and talking
- aid relaxation
- encourage the expression of intense feelings such as anger, frustration, sadness
- enhance exploratory and creative abilities