BAMT 2024 Conference
17-18 May 2024
Curve Theatre, Leicester and Online
The ethos of the BAMT 2024 conference is 'About All of Us, For All of Us, By All of Us'. The primary aim of the conference is to highlight and promote the development of Music Therapy. The conference will provide an opportunity to learn more about new clinical practice, recent & current research, and celebrate the work of Music Therapists. Our vision is that we enhance conference accessibility, and explore different approaches to presentations and other aspects of conference logistics. We are trialling these new ways of working following requests and comments from our membership. The format will therefore be slightly different from previous BAMT conferences and the new venue provides a dynamic and creative environment in the centre of a lively, multicultural city.
BAMT 2024 aims to:
- Include a variety of formats for presentations/contributions. In addition to oral presentations,roundtables, posters, and workshops potential contributors can now also put forward a creative submission, pecha kucha or world cafe idea
- Proactively incorporate issues relating to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging (EDIB), as well as highlighting that EDIB concerns are embedded in all aspects of Music Therapy.
- Offer the opportunity for each person registering to inform us of accessibility requirements in order that we meet these as much as is possible. We aim to explain ahead of time should we for any reason be unable to meet such requirements.
- Increase accessibility by providing a suitable venue and an effective platform
- Be more financially accessible through keeping prices as low as possible, choosing a venue that has relatively cheap accommodation nearby, and creating the opportunity to pay in staggered payment instalments over three months.
- Reduce the size of the programme. This will allow larger groups to attend and respond to presentations. It should also provide more time and space for interactions and conversations between delegates.
- Have longer breaks between sessions. This will allow time for an effective break, to think and assimilate, and will reduce the need to rush to the next session.
- Have quiet spaces for delegates to use as required.
- Include more music. In particular ensuring that there are opportunities to experience different genres of music reflecting the rich diversity of Leicester, as well as time for delegates to enjoy making music together.
- For no additional charge, host a Saturday night festival/party for all delegates with live music / playing together, and a selection of local food.
As with all professional conferences we want this to be enjoyable and informative and lead to many ongoing discussions, actions, and outcomes that continue to improve Music Therapy.
Tickets will go on sale at the beginning of October 2023 and information will be added to the website, promoted on social media and sent to all members.
We look forward to welcoming you to the conference in May 2024.
Eleanor Tingle Andrew Langford
BAMT Chair BAMT Chief Executive