MT Courses (Approved by HCPC)
You are here: Home > Training > MT Courses (Approved by HCPC)

Professional music therapy qualifications are at postgraduate level in the UK. The courses listed below are those approved by the Health and Care Professions Council and recognised by the British Association for Music Therapy. Each requires a high level of musicianship; students are normally accepted only if they have had a three year musical training leading to a diploma or graduateship from a college of music or a degree from a university.

Student with degrees in subjects other than music, e.g. education or psychology, may be accepted if they have achieved a high standard of musical performance. Assessment of personality and suitability for the work also form part of an interview.

Course Information

Here are the current courses offering training at Masters level in the UK:

MA Music Therapy - University of Derby (Full time)

Becky White, Programme Leader MA Music Therapy University of Derby, Britannia Mill, Mackworth Rd, Derby, DE22 3BL

Telephone: + 44 (0)1332 594040

Website: University of Derby

MSc Music Therapy - Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh

Dr. Philippa Derrington, Programme Leader MSc Music Therapy, Queen Margaret University, Edinburgh, East Lothian EH21 6UU, Scotland

Telephone: + 44 (0)131 474 0000 
Fax: + 44 (0)131 474 0001 
Website: Queen Margaret University

MA in Music Therapy (Guildhall School of Music and Drama/City)

The Registrar, Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Barbican, London EC2Y 8DT

Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7628 2571 
Website: Guildhall School of Music & Drama

Master of Music Therapy (Nordoff Robbins) - Music, Health and Society - London, Manchester & Newcastle

Nordoff Robbins Music Therapy, 2 Lissenden Gardens, London NW5 1PQ, UK

Telephone: +44  020 7267 4496
Website: Nordoff Robbins

MA in Music Therapy - Roehampton University, London

Department of Psychology, Roehampton University, Whitelands College, Holybourne Avenue, London, SW15 4JD

Telephone: + 44 (0)20 8392 3709/3423
Website: Roehampton University

MA Music Therapy - University of the West of England

Continuing Professional Development and Conference Unit, Faculty of Health and Social Care, University of the West of England, Health Training and Research Centre, Frenchay Campus, Bristol BS16 1QY

Telephone: + 44 (0) 117 32 81158 
Website: University of the West of England

MA in Music Therapy - Anglia Ruskin University

Department of Music and Performing Arts, Anglia Ruskin University, East Road, Cambridge CB1 1PT, UK

Telephone: + 44 (0) 1223 363271 ext 2045/2663/2981
Website: Anglia Ruskin University

MA in Music Therapy - University of South Wales

Newport Campus/Campws Casnewydd, Usk Rd/Heol Usk, Newport/Casnewydd, NP20 0BP, UK

Telephone: + 44 (0) 1633 435303
Website:University of South Wales

Funding for Masters and PhDs

Often funding for music therapy training, and further PhD study, is available from charities, trusts, organisations and in some cases brands. Unknown to many students, bequests are also sources of funding. Local libraries will hold a physical grants register. When searching for funding for study, look beyond music related charities and trusts for support. Be sure to check eligibility criteria - music therapy can often fall into surprising categories that trusts are prepared to fund