MT training
You are here: Home > MT training
Professional music therapy qualifications are at postgraduate level in the UK. The courses listed below are those recognised by the British Association for Music Therapy. Each requires a high level of musicianship; students are normally accepted only if they have had a three year musical training leading to a diploma or graduateship from a college of music or a degree from a university.

Students with degrees in subjects other than music, e.g. education or psychology, may be accepted if they have achieved a high standard of musical performance. Assessment of personality and suitability for the work also forms part of an interview.

Course Information

Here are the current courses offering training at Masters level in the UK:

MSc in Music Therapy (Nordoff Robbins), Edinburgh

Philipa Derrington, Programme Co-ordinator MSc Music Therapy (Nordoff Robbins), Queen Margaret University Edinburgh, Queen Margaret University Drive, Musselburgh, East Lothian EH21 6UU, Scotland
Telephone: + 44 (0)131 474 0000
Fax: + 44 (0)131 474 0001
Website: Nordoff Robbins Edinburgh

MA in Music Therapy (Guildhall School of Music and Drama/City)

The Registrar, Guildhall School of Music and Drama, Barbican, London EC2Y 8DT
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7628 2571
Website: Guildhall School of Music & Drama

Master of Music Therapy (Nordoff Robbins) - Music, Health and Society - London and Manchester

Nordoff Robbins Music Therapy, 2 Lissenden Gardens, London NW5 1PQ, UK
Telephone: +44  20 7428 8903
Website: Nordoff Robbins

MA in Music Therapy - Roehampton University, London

School of Human and Life Sciences, Roehampton University, Whitelands College, Holybourne Avenue, London, SW15 4JD
Telephone: + 44 (0)20 8392 3709/3423,
Website: Roehampton University

MA Music Therapy - University of the West of England

Continuing Professional Development and Conference Unit, Faculty of Health and Social Care, University of the West of England, Health Training and Research Centre, Frenchay Campus, Bristol BS16 1QY
Telephone: + 44 (0) 117 32 81158
Website: University of the West of England

MA in Music Therapy - Anglia Ruskin University

Department of Music and Performing Arts, Anglia Ruskin University, East Road, Cambridge CB1 1PT, UK
Telephone: + 44 (0) 1223 363271 ext 2045/2663/2981
Website: Anglia Ruskin University

MA in Music Therapy -University of South Wales, Newport/Prifysgol Cymru, Casnewydd

Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion, Lodge Rd/Heol y Porthdy, Caerleon/Caerllion, NP18 3QT, UK
Telephone: + 44 (0) 1633 435303
Website:University of South Wales

Find out more about the benefits of membership